Many of us are fully aware of the significance of the knowledge and quality education. But, as it often happens, our desire to study is in conflict with the daily chores, rush jobs and with a simple fatigue. On the way to education many obstacles raise – from the own laziness to problems with managers who do not want to let staff at the session.
But for those who have set a goal, obstacles are no more than an unfortunate misunderstanding. And they know how to get desirable. Today, many institutions in all cities of the world (lyceums, gymnasiums, schools, academies, universities, etc.) open their doors for the education.
Fortunately, now in front of every one of us who wants to master a particular field of knowledge, a huge number of possibilities is opened, for example, choose a tutor. The key to successful work with the tutor and the successful development of knowledge, of course, is whether the selected tutor – a person who gives knowledge – will satisfy you. He should have a number of qualities: to be able to plan the best training schedule, to have sufficient experience in this area, to be able to convey the necessary information, to find an individual approach and to establish a contact, to become an authority in the student’s eyes. Despite the large number of people offering tutoring services, professionals, capable of providing high-quality knowledge, are not so much. So to choose a tutor is not an easy task.
Where to find a tutor?
You can take the recommendations of a friend or try to find a tutor through advertisements in the media. In the worst case, you can search for a tutor on the ads on poles near the university. But most tutors do not leave ads near their universities, but are looking for applicants among those wishing to enter into other institutions. In the end, you can ask the students, they can also advise a tutor.
How to choose among available tutors?
Today many tutors offer their services, ranging from graduate students, post-graduate students to schools’ and universities’ teachers. But few are able to provide an adequate level of training.
There are major principles of choosing a good tutor in order to save your money and time:
- Inexperienced tutors with low skill levels offer a wide range of services from training from an early age prior to entering universities. The high level of training can be only provided by a tutor who offers a course on the subject in the narrow direction. For example, for the same admission to college.
- Price of a good tutor does not depend on whether any lessons are individual or in groups. And if the tutor promises a free trial lesson, you should think about this choice. It is more like a promotion, rather than a serious proposal. So you should not trust the tutors, who promise to hold an intensive training course for the same period.
- Do not choose a tutor who ensures, for example, enroll in the institution, and otherwise to return the spent money. The person giving the knowledge can only provide a sufficient level of knowledge, and cannot be responsible for the subsequent evaluation of the exam.
- It is better, of course, to choose a tutor among university teachers who have experience in teaching. Sometimes these tutors do not even take all the students to their groups. As it often happens, the selected tutor is used for the preparation of entering the institution. Therefore, the search is better to start in September.
But even among experienced teachers to choose a good tutor is sometimes difficult. His pedagogical skills are also important.
Requirements to the tutor
And when you finally choose a candidate for the role of tutor, hope the following tips can help you:
- First you need to set a goal – on what result you are applying for, that is why you need a tutor. If you want to study the subject deeply – you should address to the university teachers and professionals with academic background. If you need to pull the child’s school knowledge or learn “the basics” – feel free to choose the tutor among school teachers or students. They are closer to his level, and the cost of their services will be less. If you need a tutor to prepare for university entrance – try to hire a teacher of the same university as well as it is desirable to know in what form the exam will be taken – to provide the respective training.
- It is advisable that your own teacher has tutoring experience. And you can assess it by looking at how confident he holds lesson, how skillfully alternates between types of work, have enough time for the lesson, whether he tires or vice versa inspires interest and desire to further study. Selected tutor must not blame for mistakes, and teach them, and if he can give the original and memorable examples – this shows a good knowledge of the business.
- Ask your tutor an elementary question. In any case, a good tutor patiently and clearly explains the core of problem, would not refer to books or textbooks. After all, a good tutor must have the ability to explain clearly and understandably, to have in stock a few different techniques and use them.
- A good tutor at the first consultation on the subject will check the level of knowledge; he certainly will ask about previous training and used literary sources. He will not wait until you start talking about it, because this information is necessary for the successful start of study, in order to properly plan the learning process.
- An academic hour for elementary school-age pupils should not exceed 45 minutes, middle school pupils can sit with books 60 minutes, and for graduates from school lessons can last up to 1.5 hours. The selected tutor must know this and take into account so as not to bother the student.
- Knowledge monitoring should be necessarily carried out at frequent intervals. Confirmation that the work is justified, that you go along will inspire to move on.
- The most important quality that a good tutor must have is the ability to make contact with the student. After all, a desire to go to lessons in any weather and any day should be a constant. A person should not strain, the understanding is a pledge of mutual cooperation.
And finally, one small, but is no less important note, than all the previous ones. A person, going to receive knowledge from the tutor, should understand that in any way for what he will learn there is no responsibility of the tutor, just his. Thus, you must prepare yourself for the fact that the tutor will only turn your activity in the right direction and teach how to do it right. Rest and a greater percentage of success depend on the student’s willingness and work, but not on the right choice of tutor.