In an ideal Rankine Cycle, steam at 5 MPa and 500 o C enters the turbine and after expansion
exits as saturated vapor. For 110,000 kg/hr of sream, find: a) Ideal power output of the Turbine
(kW), b) Power to drive the pump (kW), c) Rate of Heat Added (kW), d) thermal efficiency of
cycle and engine, e) steam rate of the cycle and engine, f) Heat Rate
7. Wet steam at 200 o C and 20 % moisture is compressed in an irreversible adiabatic
process to a pressure of 2.5 MPa and 250 o C. Determine: a) actual work of
compression, b) compression efficiency, c) irreversibility, d) internal reheat.
6. Steam expands isentropically from 2 MPa and 375 o C to a final temperature of 95 o C.
Find the final quality and the work for a non-flow and steady flow processes.
5. There are 3 kg/min of steam undergoing an isothermal process from 30 bar and 350 o C
to 7 bar. (note 1 bar = 100 kPaa). Find: a) ΔS (kJ/k), b) Heat transferred (kJ), c) ΔH
(kJ), d) ΔU (kJ)
4. To what temperature must a rigid tank containing dry and saturated steam at 130 o C be
cooled to yield a mixture of 25 % quality.
3. A 2-kg steam water mixture at 1.0 MPaa is contained in an inflexible tank. Heat is
added until the pressure rises to 3.5 MPaa and the temperature to 400 o C. Determine:
a) Heat transferred (kJ), b) ΔH (kJ), c)ΔS (kJ/k)
2. A piston-cylinder containing steam at 700 kPaa and 250 o C undergoes a constant
pressure process until the quality is 70%. Determine: a) Heat transferred, b) Δu, c)Δs,
d) W n
1. Steam with an enthalpy of 2843 kJ/kg m undergoes a constant pressure process at 0.8
MPaa until the enthalpy becomes 2056 kJ/kg m . Find: a) Heat transferred, b) Δu, c)Δs,
d) final temperature.
Q1: An overhang beam ABCD is simply supported at A and C. The beam carries a uniformly distributed load of 4kNm-1 over the entire span, a concentrated load of 40kN at B and a concentrated load of 20kN at D. what is the reaction forces at A and C are ?
Q2: An overhang beam ABCD is simply supported at A and C. The beam carries a uniformly distributed load of 4kNm-1 over the entire span, a concentrated load of 40kN at B and a concentrated load of 20kN at D, as shown in the Figure. The reaction forces at A and C are 22 kN and 86 kN respectively. The bending moment equation for section AB, is?
Q3. A cantilever beam having a cross-section shown in the figure is subjected to a uniformly distributed load and a concentrated load. The Young’s modulus of the beam material is 200GPa. What is the deflection at the free end B?
Compute the mean annual precipitation for the watershed in Figure Q2 using the arithmetic mean,
Thiessen polygon method, and the isohyetal method. The gauge readings for gauges A -K, respectively
are: 29.79, 34.97, 25.6, 24.2, 24.6, 42.61, 4 2.35, 1 5.51, 39.994, 3.04 and 28.41.