Answer to Question #52547 in Other Programming & Computer Science for biruk
Thefollowing characteristics distinguish optical fiber from twisted pair or
1. Greater capacity: thepotential bandwidth, and hence data rate, of optical fiber is immense; data
rates of 2 Gbps over tens of kilometers have been demonstrated.
2. Smaller size and lighterweight: optical fibers are considerably thinner than coaxial cable or bundled
twisted-pair cable-at least an order of magnitude thinner for comparable
3. Lower attenuation: attenuationis significantly lower for optical fiber than for coaxial cable or twisted pair
and is constant over a wide range.
4. Electromagnetic isolation: opticalfiber systems are not affected by external electromagnetic fields. Thus, the
system is not vulnerable to interference, impulse noise, or crosstalk.
5. Greater repeater spacing: Fewerrepeaters means lower cost and fewer sources of error. The performance of
optical fiber systems from this point of view has been steadily improving.
Need a fast expert's response?Submit order
and get a quick answer at the best price
for any assignment or question with DETAILED EXPLANATIONS!