Union Glacier is part of a large expanse of ice in the Ellsworth Range (part of the Transantarctic Mountains).
To ensure that this tourism is sustainable...
- Visiting Union Glacier is expensive (around £15,000 - £20,000) so not many tourists can afford to go.
- Guidelines are given to tourists about how they should behave with respect to the environment; these are based on Antarctic Treaty guidlines.
- The continent has been bio-secured to reduce the risk of contamination (i.e. no non-native species are introduced).
- Some equipment is run on solar panels to reduce the use of diesel.
- All water is carefully contained and removed at the end of the season.
- The continent needs advocates to promote the protection of Antartica so by allowing people to experience this place each visitor will become an advocate.