4.1 According to the preamble to the South African Police Service Act (No 68 of 1995) – or the
relevant act of your own law enforcement department – there is a need to provide a policing
service throughout the national territory.
List the five main functions that will ensure that the objectives of the preamble will be met
in a full sentence.
4.2 According to the National Road Traffic Act (No 93 of 1996), Name any five functions of traffic
officials according to the act in your area.
Functions of South African Police Services
1. Taking action to prevent and investigate criminal activities.
2. Maintaining law and order.
3. Protecting citizens and their property.
4. Enforcing the law
5. Ensuring that society is safe for all persons
Functions of traffic police in South Africa
1. To regulate, plan, coordinate, and facilitate law enforcement in roads.
2. Ensuring that drivers and vehicles operate according to the required standards.
3. Managing public transport and ensuring passenger safety.
4. Provide standards for driver training
5. Provide safety guidelines for pedestrians