maintenance is actions performed to keep some machine or system functioning or in service while servicing is the act of performing maintenance on something.
- Remove the earth strap (almost always the negative pole) at the battery, to avoid accidentally activating the starter, starting a fire, or heating up your jewellery or watch, if you accidentally touch an open wire.
- Make sure that all electrical components are switched off when you remove the strap, otherwise a spark may occur, which could cause the battery to explode.
- Never leave tools on the battery, where they might short the terminals and create a spark.
- Keep loose clothing and long hair away from moving parts.
- Wear eye protection when your eyes are at risk, such as when you grind, or drill upside down.
- Don't overfill the sump, or any other reservoir, because it may cause damage to the seals, or an even more serious malfunction.
- Don't remove the radiator cap from a hot cooling system. If you really have to open up, use a cloth over the cap, and stand to one side, releasing it slowly.
- Don't add cold water to a hot engine, because the subsequent distortion may cause damage. If you have no choice, pour the water in slowly while the engine is running.