Answer to Question #24921 in Organic Chemistry for terence slazr

Question #24921
compound that one or more hydrogen name been replaced by halogens
Expert's answer
In subsequent discussions of compounds, we will represent any hydrocarbon radical by R- and any halogen atom by -X. The general formula for the halogen-substituted hydrocarbon compounds is R-X. As one might expect, it is possible to have more than one hydrogen atom replaced by a halogen atom. Organic halides are organic compounds in which one or more hydrogen atoms have been substituted by a halogen atom. The IUPAC name for halides is the same as branched chain hydrocarbons. The branch is named by shortening the halogen name to fluoro-, chloro-, bromo-, or iodo-. The halide(s) are treated as branched groups and are located on the continuous chain of carbons as you would locate and name any alkyl branch .We number the carbon atoms to avoid any ambiguity in naming the compounds.

Need a fast expert's response?

Submit order

and get a quick answer at the best price

for any assignment or question with DETAILED EXPLANATIONS!


No comments. Be first!

Leave a comment

Ask Your question

New on Blog