Answer to Question #75523 in Inorganic Chemistry for Sakshi
Justify the position of hydrogen atom in both the groups, Group 1and Group 17.
For Group 1
1. hydrogen's last electron goes into s shell
2. hydrogen's valency is 1
3. oxidation number of hydrogen is 1
4. hydrogen shows characters like electro positive alkali metals
5. like alkali metal hydrogen shows characters of redoxation
Justification for Group 17
1. hydrogen has same nonmetal character like halogens
2. hydrogen is a gas like halogens
3. hydrogen forms dimolecular atom like halogens
4. hydrogen forms covalent compound like halogens
5. hydrogen is non conductor of heat and electricity like halogens
So hydrogen can be placed in two groups.