Answer to Question #70643 in Inorganic Chemistry for Zeeshan

Question #70643
Why many normal elements become toxic after making their oxide? Like as .1 C-CO2,CO, 2. N2-NOx, 3. S2-SO2
Expert's answer
In the normal (unexcited) state, nonmetals are practically inert compounds with very strong molecular chemical bonds. In order for them to react with elements that make up living organisms, it is necessary to exert a large external energy. The main reason for the toxicity of oxides is high reactivity due to the presence of an unpaired electron. Such substances can easily be incorporated into biological cycles and violate them. An important factor that
increases the toxic effect is that the oxides are in a gaseous state and easily penetrate into the lungs and mucous membranes. Light and mucous membranes have a large surface area act as a good reactor for the interaction of living tissues with toxic substances and the incoming
products to the blood. Gaseous oxides can directly react with biological molecules that have unpaired orbital electrons e.g., other free radicals or transition metal ions or react with the moisture in the respiratory tract when inhaled, resulting in the formation of acid (H2CO3/HNO3/H2SO3) and then dissociates into ions (such CO2 formed blood acidification (acidosis)
1. [1-3]
2. [4]
3. [5]
Answer: Oxides are more reactive and easily react with the biological substances of the
body. This is due to the presence of free electron pairs in oxygen atoms.

Need a fast expert's response?

Submit order

and get a quick answer at the best price

for any assignment or question with DETAILED EXPLANATIONS!


No comments. Be the first!

Leave a comment

Ask Your question

New on Blog