The most common types of anxiety disorders include:
- generalized anxiety disorder: fear and worrying about different things for six months and more. The disorder can be treated with sedatives (i.e., benzodiazepines).
- panic disorder: recurring panic attacks at unexpected times that are associated with the feeling of fear between the attacks. The disorder can be treated with sedatives (i.e., benzodiazepines) and antidepressants (i.e., serotonin reuptake inhibitors).
- social anxiety disorder: fear of social situations. The disorder can be treated with sedatives (i.e., benzodiazepines), beta-blockers, and monoamine oxidase inhibitors (a type of antidepressant).
- specific phobias: fear of particular objects, situations, or conditions. It is mainly treated with antidepressants.
- posttraumatic stress disorder: am a mental disorder caused by a traumatic event. It can be treated with antidepressants and other anti-anxiety drugs depending on the symptoms.