1) Relative to mental health in the US, what are some differences you noticed in the treatment of mental health in India?
2) What are some similarities or areas of convergence that you noticed in the two radio clips?
3) Symbolic interactionism, one of our new theoretical perspectives, focuses on how we make sense of and assign meaning to our interactions with each other. How is symbolic interactionism useful in making sense of mental health in the US and in India? (Hint: one suggestion is to think about stigma though there are certainly other things you could consider as well).
Mental health treatment Differences
1. In India, there is the stigmatization of children who are having mental health problems unlike in the United States where there is no stigmatization.
2. Unlike, In India, the government is not much concerned about mental health treatment, the US government is much concerned about the mental health of children.
3. Whereas, the society in India associate mental health problem with spirituality therefore many who suffer mental health problem resort to go to the temples, the US society refer patients to available psychiatrists who help to solve the problem of mental health.
1. In both of the radio clips educators have problems in helping the learners who have mental health problems.
2. In both cases, educators love their learners.
3. In both cases, I realize that many learners may suffer in silence without notice. Therefore, educators should draw near to the learners to help them and to identify their different problems.
4. In both cases, I find that parents play a bigger role in helping the children cope with mental illness.
Is the framework of reference which explains and creates an understanding of how the interactions of people can make society better.
Therefore, symbolic interactionism can help in eradicating discrimination against those who have mental health problems. When people come close to them and interact with them normally, they will feel loved and cared for. For example, those who have epilepsy can be put closer and understood hence they will feel that they are part of the world.
Symbolic interactionism helps to eradicate stigma, prevent suicidal attempts and solitude. This will help to promote self-esteem, self-motivation, and self-actualization hence help them feel important.
In the process of interacting with individuals in society, people with mental illness understand that they are not the only ones with the problem but there many people in the society with similar problems. Therefore, they improve in their societal participation.