The Labour Relations Act, No. 66 of 1995, as amended make provision that one or more
registered trade unions and one or more employers’ organisation may form a bargaining
council. What will the powers and functions of such a bargaining council be?
Powers and functions of bargaining councils
1.To prevent and solve conflicts related to Labour.
2. To finalize and executive collective labor relation agreement
3. To source funds used in dispute resolution and administer the process.
4. To perform labour dispute resolution function as referred to in section 51.
5. To inaugurate and conduct pension, medical aid, provident, holidays among others.
6.To establish and encourage education programs for new employees and refreshments training for their members
7. To determine the matters that less affect or do not affect dispute in case of strikes or lockout to the workplace.
8.The council is also responsible for formulating proposals and submit to their appropriate forum on policy legislation such as National Economic Development and Labour Council NEDLAC).