1: In the Beginning
Why does Griswald include this history?
2: Faith and Foreign Policy
Who are Billy Graham and Franklin Graham? How are they linked to American foreign policy?
3: “Missionary Mayonnaise”
What is the British legacy in Sudan in regards to religious development?
Describe how Al-Turabi personifies the history of Islamic rebellion in Africa.
What do you think is going on in this section?
6: Spoiling the World
How is this section linked to some of the material from the section on Nigeria?
1: The Race to Save the Last Lost Souls
How is Malaysia linked with Islamic progress?
How is adopting Sharia law seen as progress?
Who are the Orang Ali and why do they matter?
2: The Wedding
Why does Sorya’s conversion matter?
3. The River
Why does the chief’s conversion matter?
4. The Greatest Story Ever Told
Why does Bah Rahu’s conversion matter?
Why this vignette? What is this supposed to leave the reader with?
1. Griswold Family,” the code name Dustin assigns to the group made up of El, Mike, Will, Lucas, Max, Nancy and Jonathan in the finale, is pulled directly from one of the most popular comedies of the decade, National Lampoon's Vacation.4
2. November 7, 1918 – February 21, 2018) was an American evangelist, a prominent evangelical Christian figure, and an ordained Southern Baptist minister who became well known internationally in the late 1940s.
3. Similar to the Egyptians, the British sought to gain control over the Sudan to establish both a settler and plantation based colony that would allow for them to gain more accessibility to the Nile, its trade routes, and the trading markets.
4. Since the rise of Hasan al-Turabi to prominence as the leader of the Islamic ... They have variously described him as a 'villain', 'the Godfather of ... whether from Western neoconservatives, Middle Eastern or African Marxists, or secular nationalists. ... against Sudan's first military regime during the October Revolution of 1964,
How did Islam enter Malaysia?
1. Islam in Malaysia is represented by the Shafi'i version of Sunni theology and jurisprudence, while defining Malaysia constitutionally a secular state. Islam was introduced by traders arriving from Arabia, China and the Indian subcontinent. It became firmly established in the 15th century.
2. Han Sorya was a Korean writer, literary administrator and politician who spent ... was not particularly interested in political matters and thus posed no threat to Han's own aspirations.
3. Using descriptive language, a vignette helps readers visualize a character, a place, or a moment. Vignette is a French word that means “little vine.” It is named after the decorative vine leaves that sometimes adorned nineteenth-century books.