4. More than 3 million people were killed (including 58,000 Americans); more than half were Vietnamese.
5. Growing opposition to the war in the U.S. led to bitter divisions among Americans.
6. President Richard Nixon ordered the withdrawal of U.S. forces in 1973.
7. In 1975, communist forces seized control of South Vietnam, ending the Vietnam War, and the country was unified as the Socialist Republic of Vietnam.
8. 1955, Eisenhower pledged support to Diem and military forces.
9. December 1960, Diem’s opponents within South Vietnam formed the National Liberation Front to organize resistance to the regime.
10. What is “domino theory?” Cold War policy that suggested a communist government in one nation would quickly lead to communist takeovers in neighboring states.