- Explain, referring to specific artists and/or songs, how blues, rhythm and blues (R & B), boogie woogie, Kansas City swing, and country music all led to early rock and roll.
- How did Frank Sinatra’s career both look back to the big band era and forward to the 1960s?
- Describe the (new) role of a producer in 1960s rock music, making specific references to the careers of Phil Spector, Berry Gordy (Motown), and Brian Wilson.
- How has African-American gospel music been entwined with other “secular” styles from its birth in the late 19th century through the 1960s?
1. Why did marketing music to young people, as a distinct demographic, begin and become a distinct phenomenon after World War II? How did this change in business practice change American popular music?