Answer on Organic Chemistry Question for Mary
I'm also thinking 2-methylhexane or 2-pentylmethane. This naming is confusing to me! Thank you!
1. Identification of the parent hydrocarbon chain.
This chain must obey the following rules, in order of precedence:
- It should have the maximum number of substituents of the suffix functional group. By suffix, it is meant that the parent functional group should have a suffix, unlike halogen substituents. If more than one functional group is present, the one with highest precedence should be used.
- It should have the maximum number of multiple bonds
- It should have the maximum number of single bonds.
- It should have the maximum length.
2. Identification of the parent functional group, if any, with the highest order of precedence.
3. Identification of the side-chains. Side chains are the carbon chains that are not in the parent chain, but are branched off from it.
CH3 - CH - CH2-CH2- CH2-CH3
It is 2-methylhexane
Need a fast expert's response?Submit order
and get a quick answer at the best price
for any assignment or question with DETAILED EXPLANATIONS!