For questions #14 – 17, write an equation for the reaction of magnesium chloride and sodium oxide to produce magnesium oxide with sodium chloride.
14. Show the formulas of the reactants.
15. Show the formulas of the products.
16. Write the balanced the equation for this reaction.
17. What type of chemical reaction is this? How do you know?
14. Formula of the reactants: MgCl2 for magnesium chloride and Na2O for sodium oxide. 15. Formula of the products: NaCl for sodium chloride and MgO for magnesium oxide. 16. MgCl2 + Na2O → MgO + 2NaCl 17. This double replacement reaction. Because the positive-charged cations and the negative-charged anions of the reactants switch places to form two new products.