Hi! My biology teacher gave us exam revision:
What receptors (listed down below) would be strongly activated during/straight after a “fight or flight” response and why? (related to sympathetic and parasympathetic systems)
- Testosterone receptors expressed by skeletal muscle
- Muscarinic receptors expresses by smooth muscle cells of small intestines
- Beta-adrenergic receptors in cardiac myocytes
- Nicotonic acetylcholine receptors on sweat glands
- Acetylcholine receptors in autonomic ganglia
Fight or flight response is associated with the release of adrenaline. Therefore, the affected receptors are Beta-adrenergic receptors in cardiac myocytes. Their stimulation by adrenaline leads to faster heartbeats.