A woman with black eyes marries a black-eyed man. One blue-eyed child was born from this marriage.
1) Determine the genotypes and phenotypes of all family members and the likelihood of having a blue-eyed baby. Describe the type of inheritance?
2) What Mendel's law is observed in this case? Why?
3) Give 5 examples of human diseases with this type of inheritance.
1) The woman and man are heterozygous with the genotype Bb (B - dominant allele, b - recessive allele). The child is homozygous recessive with the genotype bb. Eye color is a Mendelian trait and represents a Mendelian type of inheritance.
2) The case represents the law of dominance and uniformity.
3) Human diseases that develop according to Mendelian inheritance include cystic fibrosis, hemophilia, sickle cell anemia, Marfan syndrome, and familial hypercholesterolemia.